Pages

QUIRKY QUILL is for and by young writers and readers, hosted and moderated by me, Sharon Kirk Clifton. Welcome!

Thursday, November 29, 2012

I Wish You a Very Merry Literary CHRISTmas!


Two things you should know about my grandson Reuben: he loves--I mean loves--mysteries, and he loves for me to read aloud to him. Well, I am a storyteller so I do all the voices and sound effects.

Two things you should know about me: I love--I mean love--to read aloud to an appreciative audience, and I only choose those works that are well-written. Well, I am a writer and a former English teacher. (Some would argue there is no such thing as a former English teacher. They may be right.)

Reuben and I recently discovered the Red Rock Mystery series by Jerry B. Jenkins and Chris Fabry. I was familiar with some of Jenkins's adult novels, having read the Left Behind series and The Betrayal, the second in his Precinct 11 trilogy, so when I saw that he also has written several books for middle-graders and 'tweens, I knew I had to check them out.

At first, I didn't realize the books were numbered. I had a duh! moment when I realized we actually read Number 4 in the series first, Wild Rescue. We backtracked to Number 1, Haunted Waters, and are now taking them in order.

Chapters are very short, so we usually read ten to fifteen chapters at a sitting. For those of you who also write, Jenkins is a master at crafting end-of-chapter hooks. It takes extreme discipline to close the book and say, "That's enough for today." Since my grandson lives in another city, much of my reading aloud is done over the telephone, so I often end up reading until the cordless phone dies in my hands.

The series blurb on Amazon.com says:
Watch out! The Timberline twins are on the loose. Bryce and Ashley are ATV-riding tweens from Colorado who unearth action-packed mystery and adventure wherever they go. From clearing the name of a local miscreant to thwarting a gold-stealing heist, the twins' growing faith and the strong example of their parents guide them through even the most life-threatening situations. With the trademark page-turner style used by Jerry Jenkins and Chris Fabry in the Left Behind: The Kids series, these fast-paced books will keep even reluctant readers on the edge of their seats. Readers will definitely get hooked by the unbelievable cliff-hanger at the end of book one, Haunted Waters. Perfect for ages 8-12.
Reuben and I highly recommend the Red Rock Mysteries series for readers who enjoy heart-stopping mystery and adventure. Have you already read them? If so, which is your favorite and why? (Don't give away endings!) Do you have another favorite mystery series? Tell our readers about it in the "Comments" section.

Because of Jesus,
Miss Sharon


No comments: